Are you still using a “Free” Email service for your business? You need to stop today! Gmail, Verizon, Comcast, Yahoo, AOL, and many others offer you a free email address. This is ok for organizing a golf trip, or sending cat videos to grandma but not for your business. Here are 5 reasons you shouldn’t use a free email service for business.
- Hackers love free email accounts.
- Because of the vast number of users on services such as gmail, Hotmail, and yahoo hackers consolidate their efforts on these large databases of users. When a hacker gains access to your account they will spam all your clients, vendors, and employees phish emails, adult content, or possibly malicious ransomware
- Looks Unprofessional
- Not using a company domain email sends these messages:
- This is a personal account, I also use for business
- My company can’t afford a website or professional email
- We don’t value your privacy or the security of your data
- Your email may not get to the recipient
- Spammers use these free accounts so they can easily setup 1000s of accounts to spam users. Therefore, your account may be also relegated to the junk folder to never be seen.
- No Support
- Do you know the phone number for free gmail support? Hint: There isn’t one! If you aren’t paying for a service, what type of support do you think you are entitled to? Most premium email solutions offer help desk support a minimum.
- Compliance and Security
- If you are in a business that communicates any PII or an industry that requires compliance. You can NOT use a free email service. Industries such as Healthcare, Accounting/Finance, Legal, Manufacturing, and etc. Any time you are receiving someone else data.
A secure and professional email solution is no longer optional. If you are an accountant, attorney, or financial advisor your clients will choose another provider if you have a @gmail.com, @comcast.net, @yahoo.com, or other free email service account. For less then the cost of a cup of coffee your firm can have a secure, professional, and supported email solution.